Change of Status

Here are some guidelines for prospective students who are currently in the US but hold other categories of non-immigrant visas (for instance B1/B2, J-1- are the most common) and want to change that status to apply for an F-1 Student Visa.

To begin the process to change your visa status you will need to:
• Fill out an application at ORT
• Provide your high school diploma or college transcripts

The next step is to submit F-1 Student Documents and Student Fees:
• Copy of Form(s) I-94
• Copy of Passport
• Copy of Entrance Visa
• Proof of Available Funds
• Form I-539 (application for change of status)
• $850 International Student Deposit
• $200 SEVIS Fee (Payable online to SEVIS and not refundable) at SEVIS Fees
(You will receive a receipt that you will need to prove you have paid the fee.)
• Obtain I-20 Form from ORT

If you are filing from Illinois, mail the following documents to the USCIS at:
P.O. Box 660166
Dallas, TX 75266

• Form I-539
• Form I-20
• Copy of Form(s) I-94
• Copy of Passport
• Copy of Entry Visa
• Proof of Available Funds
• SEVIS Fee Receipt
• $290 USCIS Fee (cashiers’ check or money order)

Contact ORT at 847-324-5588 ext 26 for the latest fee and filing information or check the USCIS website at
The next step is to wait for F-1 Student Visa approval. When approved, report to ORT and take the ESL placement test.