How To Apply

ESLThese are the essential general guidelines to become a student at ORT Technical Institute if you are currently living abroad. Please read this carefully and complete all the steps. When you complete the application process, and upon acceptance, ORT will send you an I-20 Form which is necessary to apply for an F-1 Student Visa. You will also be required to have an interview at a US consulate or embassy in your country.

Get Visa Interview Information


You will need to complete an ORT Admissions Application. Our staff is available to assist you by email at or by phone at 847.324.5588. Fill out an application and send it to us by e-mail, fax: 847-324-5580, or mail to:

Chicago ORT Technical Institute
International Admissions
5440 Fargo Avenue
Skokie, IL 60077 USA

Other Essential Documents and Fees:

  • Evidence of financial funds
  • Copy of your high school diploma
  • Copy of your college transcript if available
  • $850 International Student Deposit payable to ORT Technical Institute by cashier’s check, credit card, bank draft, or money order
  • $95 non-refundable I-20 fee
  • $755 tuition deposit (this amount will be credited toward your tuition when you register for classes.)

How to Change Visa Status

Here are some guidelines for prospective students who are currently in the US but hold other categories of non-immigrant visas (for instance B1/B2, J-1- are the most common) and want to change that status to apply for an F-1 Student Visa.

To begin the process to change your visa status you will need to:

  • Fill out an Admissions Application at ORT
  • Provide your high school diploma or college transcripts

The next step is to submit F-1 Student Documents and Student Fees:

  • Copy of Passport
  • Copy of Entrance Visa
  • Proof of Available Funds
  • Form I-539 (application for change of status)
  • $850 International Student Deposit
  • $200 SEVIS Fee (Payable online to SEVIS and not refundable) at SEVIS Fees (You will receive a receipt that you will need to prove you have paid the fee.)
  • Obtain I-20 Form from ORT

Contact ORT at 847-324-5588 ext 26 for the latest fee and filing information or check the USCIS website at

The next step is to wait for F-1 Student Visa approval. When approved, report to ORT and take the ESL placement test.

How to Transfer to ORT Institute from Another School

For applicants already studying in the United States who wish to transfer to ORT:

  • Fill out Admissions Application and provide a copy of your high school diploma or college transcripts
  • Fill out a Transfer Request Form
  • Submit F-1 Student Documents and Fees including:
    – A copy of your current I-20
    – A copy of your passport
    – Proof of Available Funds
    – $850 International Student Deposit ($755 of this deposit will be credited toward your tuition when you register for classes)
  • Get new I-20 from ORT
  • Take ESL placement test

Have questions or ready to get started? Call us at 847-324-5588 or request more information  via e-mail.